The Katie Gallagher Spring/Summer 2018 show was inspired by the spontaneity of a rain storm. Lead hair stylist Robert Michael Tochterman for R+Co worked with the designer to create a “disheveled” yet feminine hairstyle that embodied a NYC girl getting caught in the rain. Merging two decades together, Robert designed two classic 90s knots, but exaggerated the look a la 60s style with hair framing the face.
Want to achieve the effortlessly undone rain-swept tresses? Here’s Robert Michael Tochterman’s process:
- Start by adding texture to the hair with R+Co Soft Wave Spray from roots to end. Depending on how fine the hair is, use R+Co Chiffon Styling Mousse for added texture.
- Create a center, zig zag part from the hairline to the base of the neck, leaving a waterfall of wispy pieces out along the hairline.
- Tease the hair at the crown and use fingers to brush the hair up into two pigtails.
- Twist the hair of each pigtail, wrap around the hand and pull into two knots, leaving the ends peeking out of the middle of the buns for a playful and uneven look. Secure the double buns with bobby pins.
- Pinch the hair along the part in the back of the head to cover the part line.
- Pinch the inner facing part of the buns together slightly and pin down.
- Use fingers to pull out textured pieces throughout the hair.
- Pull the wispy pieces over the face and rub R+Co Badlands Dry Shampoo Paste in using fingertips for separation and texture.
- Finish the look with R+Co Outer Space Flexible Hairspray.
Just don’t get caught out in the rain for real after & ruin all your hard work!
SHOP PRODUCT TO GET THE LOOK: